Grated Zucchini with Spinach
- zucchini ends removed, coarsely grated
- olive oil
- garlic finely chopped
- spinach coarsely chopped
- parsley parsley
- salt and white pepper optional
- Grate the zucchini into a colander. Salt it and let it stand for 5-10 minutes, then squeeze out the liquid with your hands. (If you are being frugal, save the liquid for soup stock.)
- Sauté garlic in olive oil over low heat so as not to burn the garlic. Remove the garlic from the pan.
- Raise the heat and add the grated zucchini. Toss it over medium heat for about 5 minutes, then add the spinach and continue to toss until the spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes more.
- At the very end, stir in the chopped parsley with the optional salt and pepper. Serve hot.
The versatility of this recipe is detailed in the second volume of Julia Child’s/Simone Beck’s classic Mastering the Art of French Cooking. You can omit the spinach, you can omit the garlic, you can use butter instead of olive oil, you can add cream at the end of the cooking time, and there are other variations as well. Bon appétit! Memphis Herb Society