By Evelyn Mosley
Building strong immunity and addressing early symptoms is key to preventing many respiratory illnesses. Many herbs and other foods in our kitchens are great immunity builders and respiratory illness fighters. While we know there is not yet have a cure for the COVID virus, keeping ourselves healthy by building our immune systems and addressing symptoms as they arise is one proactive measure we can take.
Dr. Christopher Hobbs, renowned herbalist and research scientist, recently taught a webinar “Kitchen Remedies for Respiratory Symptoms.” One of his go-to remedies is Garlic Syrup. As Dr. Christopher said, “Garlic is an important antibiotic and antiviral remedy for colds, flu, bronchitis, pneumonia, and other infections.”
Garlic Syrup is easily made in a blender with honey, garlic, water, and an essential oil. The amount of garlic used is really determined by taste. The more garlic used, however, the more benefit one will receive from Garlic Syrup. Dr. Christopher suggested adding a drop or two of an essential oil for flavor, though they also add a slight healing benefit to the syrup. To one cup of syrup, consider adding just 1 or 2 drops of essential oil of thyme, oregano, rosemary, or eucalyptus. These are safe dilutions of the essential oil, Dr. Christopher said. Take Garlic Syrup ¼ or ½ teaspoon at a time as needed.
I made Hobbs’ Garlic Syrup today and I have to say it tastes good! I used one medium-sized garlic clove and the garlic flavor is mild. I used 2 drops of rosemary essential oil in my syrup. I did crush my garlic first and it is totally emulsified in the honey and water. The water makes the syrup very pourable. Garlic Syrup is a great tasting, easy to make, powerful remedy for good health!
Read more about Dr. Christopher Hobbs here: https://www.christopherhobbs.com/
Hobbs’ Garlic Syrup
Recipe by Dr. Christopher Hobbs
Dr. Hobbs shares this Garlic Syrup recipe which is his go-to antibacterial remedy. He recommends garlic syrup because the honey helps to modulate the fiery action of the raw garlic.
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 to 1 whole clove per 1/2 pint jar
- 2 drops orange, mint, oregano, rosemary or other favorite essential oil
- Blend until garlic is all ground up and it’s all creamy. *
- Add essential oil. Blend again. Add more 1 drop at a time if needed. Careful, the oils are surprisingly strong, taste after each addition. It’s easy to add too much, in which case you have to heat the mixture a bit so it pours easily into a pint jar, then you can add more honey to moderate oil.
- If the garlic won’t completely break down (because so round and hard—I’ve had it happen), crush clove before blending.
- Garlic Honey Syrup – Immune Building, Antibacterial, and Antiviral - June 20, 2020
- Daily Fresh Garlic Suggested for Strengthened Immunity – Try Tasty Toum - May 18, 2020
- Sandy Mush Herb Nursery Adventure - February 19, 2020