Foraged Chai Masala
– A wild chai that features spicebush and juniper berries, wild ginger roots, and spruce needles.
- 1 teaspoon dried wild ginger rhizomes
- ⅛ teaspoon dried melilot
- ¼ teaspoon dried spicebush berries
- ½ teaspoon dried cow parsnip seeds
- ¼ teaspoon spruce or fir needles fresh or frozen
- 2 juniper berries
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon black tea leaves or 1 tea bag unflavored black tea
- ½ cup milk
- honey to taste
- Combine the spices and water in a saucepan and bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a medium simmer. Cover the pan, and let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the tea. If using a tea bag, cut it open and pour the tea leaves directly into the hot water. Stir to combine, cover, and let the mixture steep for two minutes.
- Add the milk and honey, and return the mixture to the heat and bring it back to a boil. Remove from the heat and strain the liquid into a mug